HOME   |   About   |   Collaborate   |   Contact            

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Birth Story, Part 1

Cue Friday, February 1st.

I woke up, still very pregnant, and wondering when on earth I was going to have this baby. Having been due on January 27, I was shocked to be entering February pregnant. I was five days overdue and I had to do something to get this baby out.

As soon as Jon walked in the door, just getting home from work, I asked, "Do you want to go for a walk?" Of course he said yes, knowing how frustrated I was that this baby hadn't arrived yet. We walked out of the apartment and down the stairs, hopping over speed bumps and doing whatever else we thought might put me into labor. We ended up walking to my mom's house, since she lives only a few streets down from us.

"Well, hi!" my mom said, surprised, as she opened the door for us. We sat at her house for awhile, making evening plans that consisted of pouring hot sauce all over my burrito at La Hacienda and a game night with Apples to Apples and Pictionary. After our walk and my spicy dinner, I had been hoping for some contractions at least, but still nothing.

The next day was Saturday, February 2nd. We slept in (I wish I had taken more advantage of that sleep), showered, and took a quick trip to Target. The entire shopping trip, my lower back was really hurting. More than my usual pregnant back pain. I remember walking around the store, trying to massage my back or change my posture, anything to make the pain go away.

As the day went on, the pain came and went. I wouldn't have thought much of it if I hadn't been losing bloody parts of my mucus plug all day. (One of the gross parts of labor, but hey, it happened, and at the point I thought I was going to be pregnant forever, I was excited about it. Who thought my walk and spicy food might actually work! Although there's no telling if that was what actually did it.)

We ate dinner over at Jon's dad's house then went for game night round 2 at my mom's house. My back pain had subsided for the most part, but almost every time I went to the bathroom there was more bloody discharge. (Again, not anyone's favorite part of the story, but pertinent.)

We got home late at almost midnight and then didn't get in bed until around 2 am. That's when the back pains really started up again. And it was agonizing.

Read part two here.


  1. I enjoy reading the different birth stories. Can't wait to read the rest!

  2. Lots of things in life ain't purdy...former nurse here...but necessary. Found you thru the Meet and Greet Blog Hop. A new follower via GFC. Hope you can stop by my blog as well.

    Anne Marie

  3. i love hearing baby stories and romance stories of how people met their boyfriends or husbands and all that jazz. cant wait to read more

  4. Oh, I love birth stories! New follower from NC...so not too far from you...and can't wait to read the rest! :)



Thanks for commenting! I love reading what you have to say! :)